There is a decision that we all have to make. Every one of us will be held accountable for how we make this particular decision. And refusing to make the decision is a choice in and of itself. What is that decision? It is what you will do with Jesus Christ.
Jesus left His position at God’s side to come to earth and live among us. The ultimate purpose of His time among us was to show us how to live. In fact, He is the only person to ever live a perfect life and never commit a single sin. For this reason, He was able to die for us and pay the penalty for the sin of every one of us. Had He not been perfect, He could not have paid our debt.
Each of us must decide how we will deal with the free gift of grace and forgiveness that He offers us. It must be a conscious decision on our part. No one can make it for us. Also, none of us can do enough good works to earn this free gift. How do we get this gift? I’m glad you asked. It really is simple.
- Understand that you are a sinner and that sin separates you from a Holy God. “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)
- Understand that Jesus loves you and died to pay the penalty for your sin even though you did not deserve it. “God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)
- Understand that you cannot come to God until you get rid of your sin problem, however, you cannot do this on your own. “He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy.” (Titus 3:5)
- Understand that it is only by God’s grace that we are able to come to Him. There is nothing we can do to earn it. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- Understand that God still requires that the penalty for your sin must be paid. We could never pay this debt but Jesus paid it for us. “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)
- Understand that all that is left for you to do is to accept the gift that Jesus is offering to you right now. “If you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him for the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.” (Romans 10:9-10)
- Understand that God invites you to live with Him forever if you just believe in His Son. “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
If this is your sincere desire, you only have to ask Jesus to be your Savior and Lord by talking to God from your heart. You can pray something similar to the following:
Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and I do not deserve eternal life. But, I believe You died and rose from the grave to make me a new creation and to prepare me to dwell in your presence forever. Jesus, come into my life, take control of my life, forgive my sins and save me. I am now placing my trust in You alone for my salvation and I accept your free gift of eternal life.